Pages

Ads 468x60px

About Me

My Photo
I am an old blogger who has found their way back to the internet. I love being a mom, an African American, spending time with my husband and shopping online. I waste time on Facebook and I do not spend enough time on Twitter. Reading is my favorite past time but bad reality shows are my guilty pleasure. Here, I blog about parenting, businesses and their successes, and innovation.

Friday, November 20, 2009

Life Changes Ahead

Recently my son's daycare abruptly closed. It was hard on my husband and I, however we were already dragging our feet looking for new daycare/preschool, anyway. The series of events went like this:

*it rained on a Thursday evening,
*received a call on Friday morning about temporary shut down for a day - flood damage
*Received another call about closing for Monday and Tuesday
*Tuesday around lunch time I received the final call-We're closing indefinitely

OH, SHITTAKE!

I cannot tell you what is like to have your childcare snatched right out from under you but it leaves you with a feeling of inadequacy, urgency, and pure frenzy that makes you feel like you were the picture beside the word "chaos" in the dictionary. I took off Wednesday to search all around Central Arkansas for adequate childcare for my wild three year old, who needed some structure but a loving and caring environment that would allow his creativity to stay active.

I know I acted like I was looking for Mother Goose, herself. Let me tell you -- I didn't find her.

What I did find was a VERY structured preschool in a Christian environment with PATIETNT teachers. It is a predominantly black school which was a sort of turn off for me because I am all about diversity. I wavered with that for a while, but then realized that it doesn't matter what the make up of his school is as long as it is a good one.

I was scared for him but, I am glad in my decision. I didn't have very many options but glad this option was made available to me. I was nervous for him on his first day. I was worried his potty training may lapse. I was fretful he would be scared and mad at me and his dad because we took him to a strange place and left him.

I picked him up and he was fine. He was more than fine -- he was sitting in a chair watching the Disney Channel with the other children awaiting their parents to pick them up. At the old place he would be running around and helping some other child cause havoc on the teacher.

Sometimes things happen to make us move faster. I am in love with my son's new preschool and since his two weeks there he has already participated in his first Thanksgiving program and family day.

He is the one in the middle (orange shirt) hugging himself while singing the chorus to Jesus loves me.


I am not sure if I have mentioned that my job will run its course on December 31st and therefore, I will be amongst the growing number of the unemployed. At first, I was looking forward to it but, now I am nervous, all over again. I used to want to be a stay at home mom but I have since changed my mind. I have been given a lot of great advice about how to stay "in the game" even though I am not working. I am so thankful for the advice I have been given and some of it will be used in the near future. I am thankful that my husband's business is doing well but there is no doubt about it -- my salary will be greatly missed. I am pressing on and still have a few options but I have to be honest and say I am lost and unsure of my career's future. I don't know what is next. I love work. I want to work. I do have some ideas that I have tossed around to very few people, but nothing is etched in stone.

Then, as if I needed more life changes -- Oprah announced she was hanging up daytime talk. She doesn't know this but she helped me through those unsure months after college. I had no job, a toddler, and mounting school debt, yet, Oprah saw me through. I TiVo her everyday. She is my friend that I've never met. As I watched her announcement on Friday evening when I arrived home, I choked up with her. It felt like a break-up. You know, the whole "...it's not you, it's me..." routine. How could she do this to me?

So, in the words of an ex-girlfriend who doesn't want to let go:
PLEASE DON'T GO, OPRAH! I NEED YOU!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

My husband has no clue as to why I'm so sad to see O go. She really is like an anchor for the majority of womankind. I'm sure someone else will take her place though. Tyra perhaps? Sherri?

My best, Lynn

Grand Pooba said...

What a relief to find such a good preschool! I hope things continue to go well in that aspect. I hope you will be able to stay in the game if you decide to start working again. And it is so sad about Oprah! I thought the day would never come!

strokeofliving said...

I'm glad to hear that your child is in a preschool now. That must have been stressful.

Thanks for stopping by my post today. I hear ya; I occasionally stick my nose on the middle of a new book or one that's been in my library for a while that I pull out for reference.

jmt said...

There are a LOT of changes being thrown at you at the end of this year! BUT....it sounds like some things are working themselves out, and as you know....the rest always will. As long as YOU keep progressing forward...so will life. In a positive way. We've had daycare changes in the past year too, and it was definitely hard. I think the change was good for our kids, but still hard on me to adapt to another place with new rules, new teachers, etc etc.

I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

MOMSWEB said...

LOL! I'm not laughing at your situation, but how God pulls the rug out from under us in order to give different and sometimes better direction for our life. The funniest part is how we think things are about us when we are here for His purpose and His glory.

Girrrl, this post has definitely blessed me as I consider the rugs God has recently SNATCHED from under my feet. He's funny, huh?

I'm glad I dropped by; have a Happy Thanksgiving!

La'Tonya Richardson said...

When it rains it pours huh! The key is rolling with the punches, and try not to lose your FREAKIN mind!

I can't believe you're in Arkansas as well. And it looks like I'm just down the highway from you. South that is.

I'm following you!

Brown English Muffin said...

WOW....when I first came to your blog the name king of through me for a loop...i wasn't sure if you were just proud of your roots or a nutty activist (please no harm intended)....but just now I read something that made me realize this is the blog for me....it was the comment about not sure if the new day care was for you as you are all about diversity...THAT'S ME TO A T!!!! And usually my friends and family laugh at me when I say stuff like that.

Mocha Dad said...

Life is full of changes and they seem difficult for the moment, but I know that you have the strength, faith, and determination to make it through. Besides, all of your online friends are here to encourage you even when Oprah is gone.

Caroline said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog for Saturday Sharefest. I enjoyed reading your blog today...I worked full time my whole life until two years ago when the economy pretty much forced me out of my profession (real estate). It was an adjustment, but in the end I just fully embraced it (sock puppets and all) and now all is well. p.s. Oprah has been my favorite too! Keep up the good blogging!

LenzLove said...

Poor pumpkin pie having to change schools. When things change I just know something better is around the corner.
Popped over from SITS and it's my first time. I'm an African American mommy of boy/girl twins capture everything I can one day at a time.

Love your blog...love to hear the truth!!

Unknown said...

I am so sad about her leaving also. It just seems like something will be terribly wrong with daytime tv without her on!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin