Pages

Ads 468x60px

About Me

My Photo
I am an old blogger who has found their way back to the internet. I love being a mom, an African American, spending time with my husband and shopping online. I waste time on Facebook and I do not spend enough time on Twitter. Reading is my favorite past time but bad reality shows are my guilty pleasure. Here, I blog about parenting, businesses and their successes, and innovation.

Monday, July 27, 2009

Shoe Shopping While I Potty Train

I went shoe shopping with the kids yesterday and it was pure hell. Yes, hell. Did I tell you it was hell? Well, it was...hell. If you want to go crazy, fast, go shopping with your kids.

The youngest one needed shoes because he only had that one pair since the last time I purchased them. In the midst of gearing up for shoe shoping with the kids, my oldest says he needs new shoes too because his current shoes are small. He usually has 3 pair on hand so that he can rotate. He is rough on shoes and we find that if he has a couple of pairs they will last longer. We generaly get hand-me-downs for him so he mostly wears hand-me-downs to play in and mommy-bought shoes, which tend to be his nice pair, to go to school and the non-playing places.

Well, I was not planning on buying his shoes for another week. When I felt his toes all squished up in his shoes, I knew then and there I was going to have to buy quite a few shoes that day. He had been wearing those shoes with this toes squished all summer, according to him.

Why did he not tell me!?!? His answer: Ugh...I just wait on you to buy me shoes. I know, I know---I gave way too much credit to my 8 year old.

So, I packed up my kids along with our Fisher-Price Precious Planet Froggy Friend Potty that we travel with on a daily basis for the little one. Yes, I am the mother who has her child pee in the back of her 4Runner and then dumps her "child's left over apple juice" while no one is looking. Call me what you will but my child has not had an accident in public yet, so I guess you can call me smart, efficient and gross at the same time.

Here's what we were shooting for:

2 for school for the 8 year old
1 for the rest of the summer and weekend play - 8 year old
2 for the two year old because he was the initial reason for the excursion

We went to a total of four stores. We came out with 5 pair and only one pair of Nikes. Which is surprising because that is usually always my shoes of choice outside of New Balance. So anyway, I am eating my past words and am admitting I bought them both a pair from.....
Payless ShoeSource
.

I know.

I know.

I know.

I did say that I do not buy my kids shoes from Payless but I knew I needed to get some inexpensive shoes for my oldest's last days of day camp and I refused to buy any name brand for him to tear up. We arrived and low and behold I found a pair that he and I really liked. So, I take back my past statements and now I am an advocate. I ended up getting my youngest a pair as well. Here they are:

Toddler Airwalk Maple Athletic



Airwalk Maple Skate


I think we faired well. What do you think?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

No! Not the shoe snob! LOL

Unknown said...

I think those sneakers are really cute and with three I think sometimes you have to make accommodations, heck with one I have to do that too. Mostly on clothes, I probably won't shop for him at payless until he is older. Or has a sibling.

Dorkys Ramos said...

I don't understand. What's wrong with Payless? I'm 27 and I shop there: cheap and carry small sizes. My friends and I have no qualms about shopping there.

jmt said...

You picked out a great pair. Nice work.

Payless advocate here. :) My sister works for them in accounting, so we get the family discount. BUT...I always shopped there before as well. They hold up really well and I canNOT see spending so much money on shoes that little children only wear for a few months before outgrowing. Screw "style and fashion"...I don't want my kids thinking they only need X and Y brand or else they'll "just die". Be thankful for what you have and enjoy them. I want my children to be the kids that can afford ANYTHING...and still shop Payless and thrift stores. There are a lot of other, more important lessons they need to learn about where money goes. :)

But....to show that I'm a shoe brand equal, I DO buy my running shoes from Nike. They fit my narrow feet best. Work and play shoes can come from Payless.

African American Mom said...

@ Anonymous: yeah the shoe snob! LOL!

@Renee': I really have a complex with buying my kids shoes from Payless

@Dorkys: Have you seen the shoes they have for kids with glitter and lights and goofy looking characters? I am raising boys to be men. How can they be taken seriously with elmo on the foot at school. I am starting standards now.

These shoes I bought for my kids are a step up from their past. I have always bouhgt shoes for myself from Payless. They treat women RIGHT! Their kids shoes, however have just come along. But I am happy with my current buy.

@Tooj: You lucky dog---family discount! I would rack up on shoes for myself. BOGO would be off the chain!

Radical Selfie said...

Hey, I'm glad you didn't sleep on Payless, Honey! They've been on the "come up" for a little while now, and I'm happy about that b/c the prices are good and my two girls have feet that grow like magic beanstalks!

Grand Pooba said...

Wow, I didn't realize you were a shoe snob! Your words, not mine! However I pretty much grew up with payless shoes and they don't last long, I'll give you that!

But those shoes are cute! I mean handsome, or cool, or whatever boys like to call them.

Very good job!

TRochelle said...

I grew up on Payless but honey I never never never thought they were cheap. Shoots I can get cheaper shoes at Penney's sometimes. I miss Starbury. They had the good cheap shoes. With four kids with their father's feet, we have to ball on a budget. I look for deals. My kiddos know you can have it if the clearance is right lol!

JaelCustomDesigns said...

* Popping in from SITS

I love when payless has the BOGO deals going on and when they have a clearance I'm there. :-)

The way I kook at it kids run through shoes regardless so, I don't mind that they don't last a really long time.

I get Jordan's or Nike's for school and they wear others to play outside etc.

Looking forward to more potty training stories, I'm about to emabark on that journey with my 19 month old! Oh Joy!

*Following you now :-)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin