Pages

Ads 468x60px

About Me

My Photo
I am an old blogger who has found their way back to the internet. I love being a mom, an African American, spending time with my husband and shopping online. I waste time on Facebook and I do not spend enough time on Twitter. Reading is my favorite past time but bad reality shows are my guilty pleasure. Here, I blog about parenting, businesses and their successes, and innovation.

Friday, August 28, 2009

Weirdest Thing Happened

On Wednesday I picked my youngest up from daycare as I usually do. My gas hand was low so we drove across the street to fill up. I was on the phone at the same time and listening to a juicy story from a friend. I was well into that conversation.

As I pulled up to the pump, there was a grungy man getting gas on the other side. He looked as if he had just gotten off his construction job. His truck looked like one I may have seen on a construction site. None the less, he looked as if he had provided his employer a good work day. So, he was standing on my side when I pulled up. He made sure to make eye contact with me. Me, I just nodded my head. I kept it polite. Well, as I got out I was still engrossed in my oh so juicy convo--he moved to his side. At least that is what I thought. He instead just walked around the pump to apparently come and pump my gas. Was he waiting on me?

Meanwhile, my friend is burning my ear with her newest boyfriend news, while this guy makes sure to beat my hand to the pump and opens my gas tank to readily pump my gas. Did I ask him to do that? I tried to keep my focus on my conversation but at this point it was pretty hard. This man who seemed like a tired worker now just seemed creepy. C.R.E.E.P.Y. He really didn't say much but maybe that was because I was on the phone and he probably thought I was getting off.

I barely heard him ask,"How much?" as he placed the pump in my gas tank because I was trying to split my attention between he and my friend. I briefly told him that I was filling up. Do you know this dude tried to stay with me at the pump. Now what about a woman talking on the phone would invite you to stay? I wanted him to go away. I quickly looked to see if his gas was done pumping. Guess what. He was not even pumpimg gas. WTH?!?

Okay, time for quick thinking....

Me: Oh, you need me to come now. It's time for the baby! I'm on my way! (sounding uberly urgent)
Friend on phone: What? Baby? Are you talking to me? Girl, there's no baby here!(sounding really confused)
Me: Yes, just stay on the phone with me and I will keep you calm,______ (insert friend's name)
Friend on phone: Ummm.....not sure what is going on but I am staying on the phone 'cause I sense something is wrong.
Me: You are such a good friend. (sounding very cheerful)

I stopped that pump at $13 and I don't know if you know this but, that barely got me 1/4 of tank of gas in my 4Runner but I knew I could make it home. I was out.

When I jumped in the car he waved bye and I sped off. It was a totally random situation. I explained to my friend about what was going on and she said she could tell something was up and that she needed to stay on. It is great to have good friends that are so in tune with you. And for that I am thankful.

3 comments:

jmt said...

You know....I guess I just don't find that creepy. He might have been doing a "pay it forward" moment. Helping a woman pump her gas is just an old-fashioned "expected" act of men back in the day. Women used to get OFFENDED when a man nearby didn't offer to do such kind gestures. I would have exited my call and called my friend back to talk to him, however, and ask if he was simply helping or waiting on someone. To keep myself fully aware of what was happening. :)

African American Mom said...

You know, Tooj--maybe you are right. It just took me by surprise.

N. Angail said...

He could have been doing the pay it forward thing, but he could have been less weird about it. Gas stations are known for attracting odd types.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin